Here are some tips to help you visually estimate serving size:
- 1/2 cup cooked pasta is about the size of an ice cream scoop.
- 1 ounce (1 cup) of cereal is about the size of a solled up pair of thick socks.
- 1/2 bagel is about the size of a hockey puck.
The serving size for the Vegetable Group:
- 1 cup raw leafy vegetables (about the size of a woman's fist), 1/2 cup of other vegetables, cooked or chopped raw, 3/4 cup (6 ounces) of vegetable juice.
- 1 medium potato is about the size of a computer mouse.
The serving size for the Fruit Group:
- One medium piece of fruit is about the size of a tennis ball.
- One bunch of grapes equal to the size of a light bulb, about 1/2 cup.
The serving size for the Milk, Yogurt and Cheese Group:
- 1-1/2 ounces of cheese is about the size of your pointer finger.
- 1 cup of milk or yogurt is a serving size.
The serving size for the Meat, Poultry, Fish, Dry Beans, Eggs & Nuts Group:
- 3 ounces of cooked meat, poultry or fish is about the size of a woman's palm or a deck of cards.
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter is about the size of a walnut.
Hints of the fats, oils & sweets group:
- 1 tablespoon of salad dressing is about the size of your thumb.
- 1 teaspoon of butter or margarine is about the size of the tip of your thumb, from the top of your thumb to the first joint.
Just remember to that you don't have to give up the foods you love just eat smaller servings and to chose the low fat, low calorie version if possible. With the Holiday this weekend it makes it a challange sometimes, but eat slowly, and chew food thoroughly. If someone notices tell them it's not a "diet", it's a lifestyle change. You can invite them to do the same. It is much easier to make lifestyle changes when there is a group that works together to help each other stay on track.
Happy Easter to those who will be away from the computer over the weekend!