What are "Power Foods"?
In the ideal world we'd always have to choose, find, and prepare healthful balanced meals. As a result we would all be lean and mean, full of energy, and stocked with all the vitamins and minerals we need to live well longer. But here in the land of reality eating properly takes a back seat to work, family, friends, and play. With everybodies fast paced lives nutrion is the last thing on our minds. We eat whatever is quick and easy, which generally is high in fat and and simple carbs.
The next time you're in a hurry at mealtime, instead of fries and a fatty burger, look for a power food - one that will get you going and keep you going.
- Baked Potatoes - potatoes are nonfat and loaded with complex carbohydrates, potassium, vitamin C, and copper. If you most put a topping on it stick to salsa or a little margarine.
- Bannanas - are packed with fiber and potassium. Along with dried fruit, they make a great portable snack.
- Beans - have fiber, protein, complex carbohydrates, and folate (B vitamin) all in one package. Whole beans tend to be better than refried, which usually add fattening oil.
- Broccoli - all green vegetables are winners, but this one is tops. It has fiber, vitamin C, folate, magnesium, and iron.
- Corn - is an excellent source of fiber and complex carbohydrates for sustained energy.
- Fruit - has fiber, carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, almost everything except fat. Dried fruits are a particularly intense source of energy.
- Fish - is usually a lower-fat source of quality protein than msot main dishes. Stick to baked, broiled, or poached though, since fish plays send to fat when fried.
- Pasta - is a great source of complex carbohydrates and offers iron and B vitamins when enriched. Stick with tomato or marinara sauce to keep the fat down.
- Peppers - jalapenos and the hundreds of other types of chiles are great sources of vitamin C, and the spiciness may raise matabolism, enhancing weight loss.
- Soup - broth-based soups help you to get your vegetables in a tasty mixture. It is dependably low in fat unless meat or dairy is added.
These are some simple ways to make healthier choices.