That's right, the quality of sleep and your weight or connected. Research has shown that people who get less than five hours of quality sleep each night are at a significantly higher risk of obesity than those who get seven to eight hours of quality sleep each night.
The reason is "disordered" sleep affects your body in all sorts of way. When it comes to your weight, lack of quality sleep increases levels of the leptin in your blood, leaving you hungrier and more likely to snack. Lack of sleep also stresses the body, causing it to process and store glucose differently. It is also harder to commit to being more active and to plan and prepare healthier meals if you are tired all the time. In short, not getting enough sleep is hazardous to your weight! If you're not getting seven to eight hours of high-quality sleep, try these tips for better sleep:
- Remove the TV from your bedroom. You should be sleeping, not watching TV late at night.
- Avoid caffeine or alcohol close to bedtime. Both lead to lower quality sleep.
- Don't exercise within 30 minutes before bedtime - doing this may make it harder to fall asleep. However, getting regular exercise earlier in the day will promote better rest.
- Develop a sleep schedule and stick to it, going to bed and getting up at the same time from day to day. This helps set your body's internal clock.
- Don't sleep late on weekends, which can disrupt your pattern. It's better to get up at your regular time and take a nap later in the day if your need to, or if you need an extra boost of energy any day of the week try this quick pick-me-up or this great lemon-aide flavored drink that is ready made, only 2 ounces!
- Make sure your bed is comfortable, a good mattress, bedding and pillows.
If you still experience trouble getting a good night's sleep after making these changes, talk to you doctor. There are many medical conditions that could be impacting your quality of sleep, some are serious and require medical treatment.
Let's concentrate on getting high quality sleep, it's critical to your weight-loss success!
Blessings for a Glorious Day!