Cookie jars aren't just for cookies!
Is the cookie jar the first place you go when you are looking for a treat or comfort? Many people are programmed to think that food is a reward or a way to find comfort, or even as a distraction when you're bored. There are lots of ways to reward yourself and lift your spirits that don't involve food. It's time to give your cookie jar a makeover.
First get some small slips of paper and write down ideas for things you like to do in your spare time - that don't involve food. Write down activities that take just a few minutes, and a few that take longer. Write down things that are fun and relaxing. Here are a few ideas:
- Have a cup of herbal tea.
- Reading a book.
- Calling a friend (put that person's number on the paper).
- Put together a photo album or a scrapbook, perhaps that before & after "I got healthy".
- Listen to relaxing music or a book on CD.
- Take a long relaxing bath.
- Go for a walk.
- Draw or paint a picture, or paint that room that has been waiting for so long.
- Hit a few golf balls, dance, or swim.
- Do a crossword puzzle or Sudoku puzzle, helps keep the mind sharp.
- Spend time on a hobby, if you don't have one - now is the perfect time to get one.
If you fill your cookie jar with different ways to relax and find comfort you won't even miss the cookies. Just remember that when you reach for the cookie jar and pull out that slip of paper, do what it says!
Blessings for a Glorious Day!